Can I Get Bulk Discounts for Large Projects?
Under some circumstances, we provide for discounts based on large-scale sequencing.
There are two levels of discount available.
Basic 96-well plates
Anyone can submit samples in a full, 96-well plate, and we will sequence them at a 17% discount (currently that is $2.50 per lane, as of 01-Dec-15). To be eligible for this discount:
- Plate-discounted samples are run at lower priority than normal samples. That is,
in part, why we provide these discounts.
- Your 96-well plate must be FULL (or nearly so). We WILL sequence every well, so empty wells cost you money!
- All wells must be sequenced identically (i.e. with the same primer or primers). We
must be able to multi-channel pipette these samples, so we can only allow very
limited flexibility in this requirement.
- To enter your plate into our system, follow these steps.
Go to "Submit Samples", choose "Submit Sequencing Samples", log in, select an account, then click
"Submit Plate" at the top of the screen.
- Be sure to seal your plate with 'clear adhesive film'.
- All other guidelines are still applicable, such as minimum volumes, concentrations
A few other points of which you should be aware:
- You CAN, at your option, leave some empty wells. We WILL sequence them, and we
WILL CHARGE YOU FOR THEM, so you lose the advantage of this discount if more
than 10% of your wells are empty.
- Your samples will be given a systematic name, with a prefix (which you specify) followed
by the well ID (A01, A02, C12, etc). For example if your plate is named with the
prefix 'HMN' your samples will be called 'HMN_A01', HMN_A02', etc.
- You won't know the range of sample numbers until they are running. They are
assigned internally at the time the samples are run.
- You won't see your samples listed in the queue until they are running.
Negotiated High-Volume Discounts
In some cases, we can provide substantial additional discounts, based on the size
of a project and based on certain cost-cutting methods we may be able to employ.
Talk to the Director to discuss what options
may be available. In general, all of the cost-cutting measures have potential
drawbacks, and we work out which ones will still give outstanding results with YOUR
samples. You agree only to those cost-cutting measures that work for you, and you
can save a considerable amount of money on large projects.
Some important points to keep in mind:
- Negotiated discounts can only come into play when you submit enough samples simultaneously
to justify our effort in testing or developing lower-cost procedures that will work
with your samples. Generally this means at least 10 96-well plates submitted
at one time, with the best discounts only possible when you submit hundreds of plates
or even thousands.
- All samples processed under negotiated discounts are processed at LOWER PRIORITY
than regular (numbered tube) samples and also at LOWER PRIORITY than the Basic
96-Well Plate discount described above.
- Negotiated discounts are valid for a specific project, and are valid only when samples
are arriving at an agreed-upon rate per day or week.
- In general, the final cost is determined by the size of the project, the quality of
the samples you send in, and the agreed-upon cost-cutting measures. Discounts can
range from 10% to over 50% for especially large projects.
Back to the FAQ
Back to Sequencing Core Home Page
Email Dr. Robert Lyons with questions or comments regarding this